Sunday, June 15, 2008

Good Vibration


 

i bought a new 2.1 speaker. I'd always wanted one really good one, and i'd targeted Logitech Z-4 which cost around RM350. However in India, it's sold for Rs 6000+ and hard to find. Then one day as i was shopping around, i saw a Altec Lansing MX5012. It is the highest line of Altec Lansing speaker product, with THX certification. The boss is very nice n he sell me for only Rs6600, where the ori price is Rs9000. So, after considering for 15 mins, i decided to buy it. So then, now i have one of the best speaker in the world. Altec Lansing MX5021 It is the highest line 2:1 speakers by Altec Lansing. Even though it's the older model, and there's a newer and more expensive FX6021, people says the older version is better than the new one. "Old is gold". Specs:

  • Components: 2 satellites, 1 sub
  • Satellites: 20 watts each
  • Subwoofer: 50 watts
  • Output level: 103dB
  • Frequency: 30-22000hz
With total of 90 watts, and a output of 103db, the volume is much higher than any speakers. Besides, it is THX certified, which means, it can produce the highest highest quality sound comparable to theatre. Sound quality The first thing i do after bringing this new sound pet into my room is start wiring and set it up on my table. I do not remove my Creative M2500 as i wanna make a side to side comparison with my new AL MX5021. I already have a list of high dynamic songs to test different aspect of the speakers such as the high freq saxaphone or cymbals, the mid range guitar solo and the low freq bass and drums. The results was spectacular. My new speakers just sound so much more better than the old one. The MX5021 sounds much clearer, the high range sounds are so much louder and crisp and you can easily differentiate whether the cymbals are from the left or the flute are from right side. The bass is very solid and even at high volume, there's no distortion at all. The bass can really make ur whole room shattle at high volume, with the songs still sounds nice and clear. Besides, the bass never cover up the mid range sounds at high level, plus every instruments are very clear through the songs and never overlap each other. On the other hand on my old Creative M2500, the sounds of each instruments are overlapping, some instruments loud some soft, and they sound muddy and sloppy compared to the clarity of AL MX5021. The bass is also very easily distorted, and basses very frequantly overwhelm the other sounds. The high freq sounds also easily gets buzzing on some songs. Sound of Music Even though i'm not an audiophile, i can still know what is a "good sound" .I'm still constantly learning and training my ears to be more sensitive to sounds. I can now easily differentiate a good sounding speakers and a cheap one; and find out the difference between a high bit MP3 file and a low bit one. I always keep my favourite songs to 320kbps, which means 1 song of mine is around 10MB. The lowest bit rate acceptable to my ear is 192kbps, and 128kbps sounds too muddy to me, except from those simple Pop songs. Nowadays in a digital world dominated by iPod and MP3s, CDs are already hardly surviving, but mind you they're still sound the best. However, CDs are just too big to be kept, so it's better to rip them into mp3 or AAC files in high bit. I listen to all kinds of music, mostly classic Rock, Rock and Roll, Alternative, Jazz, Blues, R&B, and some Chirstians, Classical and Pop. I let my iTunes play most the time in a day, so i'm constantly exposed to music, so it is necessary my ears are fed with good sounds. I hate all modern musics, especially hip-hop or rap or those meant-to-please-everyone alternatives. I'm still living in a 60s, 70s and 80s era, as these are the Golden Years of music industries. Hardly anything today sound as good as the old days. Appearance The subwoofer is super super tall and heavy, as big as a normal desktop CPU, swt. Even the size of the 2 satellites speakers are beyond what i expected. They're just HUGE. There's a seperate controller for u to put on the desk, with control of Power on/off, Volume, Bass & Treble, plus a auxillary input for iPod or any CD players and a output jack for earphones. It's easy to control the volume anytime and anyhow u like. Another thing i like is there's a wireess remote control, so u can control from ur bed or far away while watching movies. The color of everything is black, with silver color cones and blue LEDs on the controller. The color totally complemet my laptop and all my gadgets. In a Nutshell The size is thrice than that of my old speaker, the price is thrice more, the specs is thrice more, but the sound quality of Altec Lansing MX5021? It's so much better. Nowadays, the best available 2:1 speakers in the market of the world are Logitech Z-2300, JBL Harman Cardon Soundstick II, Klipsch Promedia 2.1, and Altec Lansing MX5021/Fx6021. All of them cost more than RM600 (and i think i'd got a great deal with mine), and they can support any sounds of music, movies, and games at any volume. A good 2:1 is often the choice for everyone than buying a surround 5:1 because most 5:1 do not use drivers as good as 2:1, and 5:1 just cramp up ur room with all the extra wires and speakers. A great speaker can last people forever, and i'm going to use this for my whole life hopefully, if i can find a good way to bring back Malaysia cz it's too huge. I'm really really glad with this new speakers, my ears feel so much soothing and happy now. I wont get headache out of rock songs after long time exposure anymore. I love my Altec Lansing MX5021, it's a perfect companion for my daily needs as it provides pleasant sounds at low volume and cinematic sound at high volume. I would recomend this speaker to anyone if he/she is serious about sounds.

1 comment:

  1. where can i get to buy this ar? if u know, pls contact me winsont85@yahoo.com pls... thx...

    ReplyDelete