Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Where Is God When There Is Pain


On 20th Sept, Tue, i was admited into KMC Hospital due to severe stomach pain and non-stop vomiting, and after some careful check-ups, the doctor said that i had acute appendicitis.. the next day of hospitalization, i was asked for operation, but i refused (of course i'm scared, feeling alone abroad, and somemore it was my 1st time being admited into hosp in my whole life, and for sure, the 1st time being confronted by operation), but later on, all my frens and my parents asked me to go for it, cz it's only a minor op, and if u dun do it now, sooner or later it'll get more serious...and so the next day(22nd sept), when i finally made up my mind, the doctor suddenly said that the appendix had evolved into a mass, and it is not the right time to have op as it might hurt other parts of the body, and there's a danger... So, conservative treatment is being carried out (by dripping of antibiotics n glucose).. Operation can only be done after at least a month, when the mass subside...i can't eat for the period, and also i kept on vomiting (though ntg came out, but it was really painful and troubling)..like this, i'd not eaten or even , and was really wedrank anything for a week, i'm very weak n lonely n moody during that period... that was the time i started blaming, "y i'm so sick?" , "y i'm being put in this stupid place-india?","y i'm not healed though i'd stayed in hosp for so long and there were so many ppl praying for me?", "y i can't feel God's comfort n healing?" My parents got really really worried, and they decided to fly here to look after me... on 26th sept-my dad, my mum, n my grand-aunt reached... they brought many foods n chinese nutritious herbs for me, though i still cant drink and eat that time(vomiting still).. however, i'm really lightened up to see them, and due to their tender care and their presence by my side, i recovered fast.. Finally, i was able to eat n there's no more pain...I was discharged on Sat, 1st Oct after 10 days of hospitalisation.. I'm planning to do my op in Malaysia when i go back for 3 weeks vacation(cz parents are there n they can look after me n take care of my food)...However, i need to be extremely careful with the food i take in these 2 months time- no spicy, no oily, well-cooked (which is quite impossible to get here in mangalore).. I need to cook myself, and the mess is very helpful in preparing me 'special' food... please pray that nothing bad will happen to my stomach during these period..

One thing that surprised me the most is that my parents' journey was extremely smooth- they came across many problems but all the problems were just solved easily; they met many angels along the way( obviously God is working in a wonderful way)... Besides, almost all of my class mates from Malaysia came n visited me everyday, and there'd been many ppl around the world praying for me and sending me SMS and calling me- frens from UiTM, Kuantan, KL, and even US, UK, Germany, Australia etc.. I'm wondering how the news are able to spread that fast, but I'm really thankful to all my dear frens... I was treated like a VIP in the hospital.. firstly, i'm shifted into Special Ward with tv (i'd watched many many movies on HBO n STAR MOVIES and football in ESPN), and many VIPs visited me- the Dean of KMC, the Head of Student Affairs, Chief Warden of my hostel, doctors, the pastor n local church members and JPA officers(3 of them came to visit India bound students)...almost every staffs in the hospital know me (i'm the only foreigner in the whole hosp, 2gether with my family)... Finally, I'm able see light, God's light, shining on me through other ppl.. i feel important suddenly,i realize that God is in control and He loves me n care for me still... Though He might seems distant sometimes when there's pain, i know He's still out there looking at me, and continue His plan on me... Though i might not feel Him, nor touch Him, see Him, He's nothing but Real, and He's there all the time, everywhere...

I would like here to convey my most heartly thanx to all my friends, church members, family members, and everyone who cared and prayed... Thank you and God bless!!!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Sorry I didn't call you because I still have a phone here after moving into a new apartment. Anyway I'm really glad to hear from u again and to know that u r getting well. take care of urself ok. get well soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:00 AM

    where r u goin to hav the op? kl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romans 5:3-5
    3 Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance,
    4 and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope, 5 and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us.

    James 1:2-4
    2 Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials,
    3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
    4 And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

    Hope these two bible verses will comfort you.

    Hope you get well soon. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose these is more to be said on the matter. Elie Wiesel in his book (no one's sure if it's fiction or not) describes a scene in Auschwitz. Three people are condemned to die by hanging: two grown men and one little boy. The men die quickly, but the boy is light and struggles on the gallows for ages before he finally dies. "Where is God?" asks a man behind Elie. He does not respond. A while later, the man cries out again, "Where is God now? Where is he?" A voice speaks in Elie's mind, "Where is God?...He is here, hanging in the gallows?"

    God's answer to our questions on pain and grief and suffering is God himself. To Job, God did not give a didactic reply; He did not reply Job in words per se. But God was with Job. Likewise in the human condition, God came to suffer with humanity, to die with humanity. That is partially what it means to have an Incarnate God, a Crucified God, a Suffering God even a Dying God.

    ReplyDelete