Tuesday, November 24, 2009

OK Computer

Many things crosses my mind whenever i'm too bored of studying.. I keep thinking of what i wanna do next year as an intern in my one last year in India. I wanna buy this buy that, take plenty of leaves and travel around India as much as possible, or even go to South Africa for World Cup..
Recently, i bought a 22" LCD monitor, Dell SP2208WFP. It's the monitor i've been eying for the past one year, and so far i'd not found any new monitor model better than that.. This model is way too good in terms of performance, features and value till it's being discontinued, and luckily i found a second hand one on eBay India. The monitor is 6 months old, hardly been used, and still look brand new without any problem. Actually i bought the same monitor in July when i was back in Msia, it's still unopened in my home and i'm supposed to bring it over next year, but then i decided against it and wanna get one more over here.. The reasons I wanna have a monitor are so that my desk will be cleaner and have more space for books,; i can watch my HD movies more comfortably; have a better desktop experience in my daily windows applications; and also due to peer pressure cause many of my friends in the hostel already have one.. The monitor cost me Rs9000 (RM650), and i'm really happy with its performance.


Recently, Liew's laptop died and while he was going to buy a Dell desktop, i advised him to buy all the parts separately and custom build one, which he did. His new PC cost around Rs80000 (which is almost the same price as the Dell desktop he's gonna buy here but more than doubled its performance). His PC is extremely powerful (with Intel Core i5 CPU, ATI Radeon 5850 GPU), and is undoubtedly the strongest in our whole hostel right now.
Now, my heart is pumping to build one for myself too. I'm really pissed with my 2 year-old Dell XPS 1530 laptop cause it can no longer support any of my games in native 1680x1050 monitor resolution smoothly, even watching HD movies lag sometimes.. All these while i was planning to buy a Alienware m15x next year, but when i think about the price of it (RM6500) and how well can it support new games in full details, i decided against it.. If i build a desktop myself, it'll only cost me less than RM4000, and i can assure it will support all future games in full details in the next 3 years and will not die on me for at least 5 years. It's totally a bargain compare to a laptop, considering laptop's life span of 3 years.. Average laptops has a 30% of total failure rate after 3 years, and also each manufacturer has different failure rate. Check this out:


My plan now is to sell my laptop in eBay India for around Rs30k, scrap my budget for a PS3 and its games which is another Rs30k, and use the money to build a Small Form Factor PC gaming machine. I want a really small and cool looking PC case cause i'm bored of those tower casing and it's more challenging and fun building a SFF PC. Also, i can easily bring it back to Malaysia when i leave this place. I'd already made a list of all the components that i'll be getting when i go back Malaysia, and i'm really looking forward to it. Below is Thermaltake Lanbox Lite and Lian-li PC-V351 small form factor casing which i'd been eying:


specs i have decided on:

CPU: Intel Core i5
RAM: G Skill 2000Mhz 4GB DDR3 Dual-Channel
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus III Gene
PSU: Corsair HX620W
HDD: Western Digital 2TB Cavier Black
GPU: nVidia GTX 275
HSF: Noctua NH-U9B

So right now, my sole aim is to study well, do well for my exam and pass all subjects in one go, reward myself with a new PC, and then fully enjoy my last year in India as an intern.. May God bless me..

No comments:

Post a Comment